Statement by the Government of the Republic of Korea on North Korea’s Fourth Nuclear Test
1. North Korea announced that it conducted its first hydrogen bomb test on January 6, 2016, at 10:30 (KST).
2. The Government of the Republic of Korea strongly condemns North Korea’s fourth nuclear test, which was carried out in disregard of repeated warnings by the Republic of Korea and the international community, in flagrant violation of United Nations Security Council resolutions (1718, 1874, 2087, 2094).
3. The Government of the Republic of Korea strongly demands that North Korea, clearly recognizing that the international community will not tolerate North Korea’s possession of nuclear weapons in any case, abandon all nuclear weapons and existing nuclear and ballistic missile programs in a complete, verifiable, and irreversible manner in accordance with United Nations Security Council resolutions.
4. The Government of the Republic of Korea will cooperate closely with the international community, including our ally and participants of the Six-Party Talks, and take all necessary measures, including additional sanction measures by the UN Security Council, to make North Korea face consequences commensurate to the nuclear test as already warned.
5. Furthermore, the Government of the Republic of Korea will maintain a high readiness posture against any further provocation by North Korea which threatens the safety of the Republic of Korea and its people.